Thursday 20 September 2012

Alternative 3






I finally got round to watching the cult classic Alternative 3 last night and it's rather good. Sometimes people just tap into the collective conscious and now that we know the Apollo landings were faked (possibly acting as a cover story for a real alternative) it's possible this production is one of those accidentally too close to the truth episodes. I cut and paste the writer's response to a letter below but the bit that made me sit up was the summer of drought and fires followed by a harsh winter. Sound familiar? We'll see.


"The TV program did cause a tremendous uproar because viewers refused to believe it was fiction. I initially took the view that the basic premise was so way-out, particularly the way I aimed to present it in the book, that no one would regard it as non-fiction. Immediately after publication, I realized I was totally wrong. In fact, the amazing mountains of letters from virtually all parts of the world- including vast numbers from highly intelligent people in positions of responsibility-convinced me that I had ACCIDENTALLY trespassed into a range of top-secret truths. Documentary evidence provided by many of these correspondents decided me to write a serious and COMPLETELY NON-FICTION sequel. Unfortunately, a chest containing the bulk of the letters was among the items which were mysteriously LOST IN TRANSIT some four years when I moved from London, England, to Sydney, Australia, before I moved on to settle in New Zealand. For some time after Alternative 3 was originally published, I have reason to suppose that my home telephone was being tapped and my contacts who were experienced in such matters were convinced that certain intelligence agencies considered that I probably knew too much. So, summing up, the book is FICTION BASED ON FACT. But I now feel that I inadvertently got VERY CLOSE TO A SECRET TRUTH. I hope this is of some help to you and I look forward to hearing from you again. With best wishes, Leslie Watkins"